October 12, 2012

[FOOD] The Parish

I had to stop by The Parish to dine since it is literally a 5-minute walk from my intern office. The restaurant has just opened this past July and is one of the most anticipated new restaurants in Downtown LA opened by Executive Chef Casey Lane. I was keen to come and try it out because I have been to Chef Lane's other restaurant, The Tasting Kitchen, which is a renowned Italian and Mediterranean restaurant located in Venice Beach that has gotten three James Beard Award nominations.



Before I even entered the restaurant, I fell in love with the outdoor ground floor cafe. It has such a nice ambiance and the fact that it is located at the intersection of Spring just gives it a resemblance of the Flatiron in New York.


Because my friends and I got there pretty late for dinner, the outdoor seats were mostly taken so we were situated on the ground floor, which I later found out is available for walk-ins (without reservations). But we will later discover that the 2nd floor is much exquisite! (Btw if you come during dinner time, parking next to the restaurant will be free of charge. During the daytime it's around $5-$12 depending on the mood of the owner.)

Interior view of the ground floor in the morning. Photo courtesy of DTLA Rising
Chef Casey Lane is known as the "Prince of No Substitutions," but that didn't bother me since although I'm a picky eater (for example I don't eat lamb, sea cucumber, etc) as long as the dishes doesn't contain food I don't like eating, I am very open to how the chef want to work with the ingredients. I can't help but notice that The Parish has super cute/funky illustrations on its menu.


I have recently become drawn to the concept of "gastropubs." The word came from London in 1991 which combines the words "gastronomy" and "pub" in terms to describe a sophisticated bar. Not too long ago, I don't think people of Los Angeles are familiar with this term/concept, but I have come to discover that more and more new restaurants in town are taking the approach to adopt this concept.

I think I like gastropubs not because I like to drink (because unfortunately we all have to drive home individually after dinner so we didn't get to order any cocktail or beer) but I just like the overall ambiance, interior design, and how each plate of food is of a smaller portion but just enough to get you full. Here are the four dishes that I ordered for the night. Yum, yum, yum, and YUM :Q

Fish and Chips

Grilled Shrimp with marinated shell beans

Fried Chicken

Sticky Toffee Pudding
For those of you that are planning to go, I would highly recommend making a reservation on the second floor which has the bar and lounge that is done with vintage-inspired touches such as wood paneling and iron scones. It gives out a scene of the '20s and '30s. I love it! I wish I could take pictures of it but it was too dark and too packed with people so here are some daytime pictures from EaterLA.

Photo Courtesy of EaterLA

Photo Courtesy of EaterLA

Photo Courtesy of EaterLA

In closing, I have attached a picture of Chef Casey Lane... a handsome and stylish fellow isn't he? And he is under 30! He is planning to open Itri, a pasta and rotisserie restaurant in the heart of the trendy Melrose district in the fall! 


The Parish
Category: American
Address; 840 S Spring St. Los Angeles, CA 90015
Phone: (213)225-2400

No comments:

Post a Comment